Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

So, Fencing is a Real Sport...

I observe this reaction in people whenever I tell them I am a part time fencing coach. They think I am some weird guy who plays D&D all day in a basement & occasionally comes to the surface to teach other nerds my methods of mastery over nerdom.

This isn't entirely true. When I instruct someone how to fence, I instruct them how to fence. I could care less if they are nerdy, gangsta, corporate, redneck, none of that crap matters. We don't just stand there hitting eachother's weapons pretending to be swashbucklers in a bad movie, we move around much more than most people think.

I don't know where this stereotype of the awful fencing instructor comes from, but I have been trying to abolish it for the last two years. I pride myself on being in good physical condition and not wheezing after I teach/do footwork. I look to my students to be in good enough physical condition not to be wheezing after footwork. Conditioning is terribly important to this sport as it is a physical activity.

It is also important to drill basics even when you've been fencing for many years. It's called basic technique, and if you don't use it you lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment