Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Screaming

In fencing there is this... ritual that some of us participate in after a touch. It is called the scream, and everybody does it differently. There are a few categories that screams fit into. Let's study them now:

Blood Curdling
Everyone hates fencers who do this scream. Fencers who routinely do this scream can be heard commenting on a fellow blood curdling screamer, that they hate that person. It also the most common scream among female fencers and the most annoying. I will show you what I mean:
Here
That made me want to vomit

The Stutter
This is done by fencers who are usually looking to piss off the other fencer while trying to sound cool. It of usually fails, the other fencer could care less what goofy Lemur mating calls you manage to generate with your mouth. It is as annoying as the Blood Curdling, but not as hard on your hearing:
Here

The Exaggerated Grunt
Short, clipped and the most tolerable of fencing screams due largely to brevity. He gets the touch, lets you know how awesome he is with a high volume grunt that brings stained knickers to mind.
Here

But some people manage to separate themselves from the riff raff of screamers. These people are true artists in the practice of being a jerk. This next guy is my favorite out of any scream I have ever heard. Listen to how the entire venue wants to bear down on him and silence this horrendous noise once and for all. Listen for the subtle changes in each scream, showing that this moron actually practiced screaming in his club, meaning his teammates must hate him too. He even has a finishing scream where he rips off his mask, drops it to the floor, turns to the referee and belches out another highly creative and offensive sound. This all while raising his hands to the heavens as though begging for salvation.

But really, despite all the hate I'm dishing out, I am just as guilty as the rest. I try hard to hold it in, but sometimes I am just as weak. Especially in the sample I posted, my technique looks awful, and that's usually when I turn to the battle of volume. If the opposing person screams, I am almost obliged to show that I can outroar someone. Bit by bit, I am training myself out of this, but it takes time. For the record, my form is far less jerky these days. I had just started fencing again that summer after a long hiatus.

6 comments:

  1. When I started fencing, I hated all screamers with a vengence. I didn't see the point and thought they looked like idiots. Ahem...

    I yell. A lot. It actually didn't start until I was fencing saber at a tournament and it just sorta happened. But it does serve as a nice release after you've worked really hard for a touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. It is a fantastic release, but we do look like idiots when we do this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you heard my various annoying Opah! and Yesah! screams last weekend. Everyone at my club pretty much hates me for it and they all give me crap. Truthfully though, I hardly realize that i'm even doing it.

    Think about it, baseball, football, hockey, basketball, even golfers are known to give a little bit of a yell every once in a while. What makes fencers any different? Why must I remain silent on the strip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all honesty, I can't argue that you should. It would be more than a little hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you know that was a hypothetical question, not directed at you.

    Btw, I like this blog a lot and look forward to watching you grow your club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It had no negativity attached. It can be hard for me to accurately express good natured sarcasm over the interweb.

    Thank you for reading and I hope it continues to be worth your time!

    ReplyDelete