Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Missoula High School League ideas

I am currently trying to piece together a decent league format for high school fencing tournaments in the Missoula area. Here are the main selling points in their rough draft:

-League participation is free. Any high school student can jump on for $10 per event, but there is no all encompassing fee for the league. I think this is a good idea because I want parents spending money on attending club practice and buying gear.
-Non-USFA sanctioned. This is mostly what I mean by league participation being free. We are going to follow USFA tournament format to the letter, and after a year I will start to encourage competitive kids to pick up their USFA and go compete in Inland Empire tournaments
-Each High School hosts two tournaments a semester. One tournament is a team tournament, and the other will be an individual tournament. Team tournaments may take all weekend with individuals taking only Saturday.
-Rotating high school cup. One cup will be for team events and the other for individual. This trophy will be awarded to whatever team does the best over a season, probably using AskFred's pointslist for something other than ego inflation.

To facilitate growth in this region of Missoula fencing, I will try to volunteer 2 hours out of a weekday per school to come down and run some practice. Unless one of the other coaches finds time to do the same, these schools will likely be comprised of saber teams with a few super dedicated foilists and epeeists. Not because I am biased, but I am not going to fool myself into thinking I can teach the other two weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment