Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pretournament Jitters

I may be a small portion of the populace, but whenever I compete my stomach essentially boils & knots up. I adopt a nervous and angry countenance & avoid eye contact. Oh sure I respond to stimuli, but only in a very clipped fashion. I actually prefer my competitions to be filled with people who don't want to talk to me or interact with me in any way until forced to on the strip. Because I've been this nervous wreck at competitions for so long, I've decided that instead of fighting it, I would just use it. This acceptance has some weird effects on my overall psyche, such as relaxation, acceptance, and usually, better fencing. It also has the potential to make me a poor sport, but I've been down that road and try to avoid it as best I can.

In the words of Malcolm Reynolds: "When I start fighting a war, you'll see something new."

No comments:

Post a Comment