Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Practice Etiquette

Two posts ago I discussed tournament etiquette in the most passing of terms. I did this because it isn't as important as how you practice.

I used to think that all fencers conducted themselves the same in practice. Show up a little early, do footwork for about half an hour, do some drills for another half hour, then fence for the next 2 hours straight. In one way or another I thought that most fencers would consider this a decent practice regimen. There are some days that are just open fencing while other days may be more focused on bladework or conditioning, & I by no means think that my way is a perfect method.

What I don't understand is fencers who think that a good 5 minutes of footwork, 10 minutes of parry drills and 20 minutes of actual fencing in a 2 hour period is more than sufficient to keep up fencing skills and improve. To improve, fencing someone for the next 50 touches is a great way to grind out frustration and learn to fence when you are exhausted. It is also an excellent way to try new tricks over the long term. Realistically, fencing for less than an hour offers little in the way of growth unless you are fencing at the New York Athletic Club or any other big name Salle. You learn to fence by being able to fence until you can barely stand, not this weak "I'm kind of tired, I need to stop" drek.

That being said, I am as guilty as the next fencer of stopping and having a conversation with 3 or 4 other fencers, forming what I call a Conversation Circle of Worthlessness. This circle can expand to encompass an entire practice floor of fencers if none of them are vigilant. Join me in my crusade to abolish Conversation Circles. They are bad for fencing, and they are bad for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment