Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

I am now out of backposts

So I guess it's time for a blogging day. These days are lots of fun, at least for me, because I get to type like crazy today and let the next few days slide.

The tournament in Missoula was pretty small even by Inland Empire standards. We did manage to hand out 2 E's to the same person and I was very impressed by my students' performance in saber. 2 more medals were handed out to MFA fencers which brings our total tally to 3. Chris finally has a student competing, and he did very well yesterday for his first tournament.

It was a ton of fun to watch my students execute an explosive attack against an opponent, and more than a little terrifying. If they can latch on to that confidence and energy, bouts can be won on physical power alone. Most of the bouts that were lost stemmed from a losing mental battle. ALL of my students were up by at least two points at the break in the bouts they were knocked out, but compensation for the opponent's adaptation never happened. They were also brilliant in pools, with the top two seeds being MFA fencers.

Honestly the results make me very happy. The course of events showed that inexperience is the major disadvantage my students still suffer from. Thankfully that is the easiest disadvantage to fix. I saw such good technique and willingness to fight for each touch.

Photos of warm-ups in tomorrow's post. You are going to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment