Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Ref Test

This last weekend we hosted a tournament in Missoula after a Refereeing clinic hosted by Mark Stasinos. It was a very informative clinic and a very good divisional meeting afterward.

A fencer in Billings wants to start a high school league within Montana to help encourage the sport on a youth level. I told him that we are working toward expanding awareness of the sport here and he could expect a healthy showing of Missoula within a few years time.

I was also corrected by Mark in my understanding of low line attacks in sabre. My coach always taught us to fence with a low line when going to flank or belly, but some jackass in Eugene told me that the opposite was true. Nobody told me that reason prevailed and low line attacks are still valid, but now I know.

I also want to congratulate all the young fencers at the first ever unrated sabre tournament in Missoula. Jesse earned his E10 rating and 2 new fencers stepped up to competition for the first time. They seemed a little wide eyed and surprised at how fast paced and different competition was, but they definitely seemed interested in continuing.

Sorry about the huge posting gap. I moved this weekend and won't have consistent internet until Thursday, and besides, the place we practice is having the floor refinished so not much is going on the rest of the week.

Cute picture to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment