Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

Introspective run

There are a thousand blogs about people getting into shape using running, this is obviously not one of them. However, I am a runner and occasionally benefit from the clarity of mind that pure exhaustion can induce. It has quite a bit in common with fencing from the opposite direction. I can find peace of mind in either the fast paced mentally challenging setting of the fencing strip, and I can find it within the classic runner's high.

Unfortunately for the latter, I tend to have less and less runner's high moments the better I get at running. Zen moments in fencing can strike without warning but can usually be set up if you know what you're doing. Unlike runner's high, which in my experience makes me really happy, Zen moments in fencing are accompanied by a lack of feeling. A properly motivated fencer in zen mode can perform WAY above normal, but it is difficult to achieve that state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment