Search This Blog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tournament in hindsight

The best part of the Nov. 20 youth tournament: My kids realized that they had to move their feet. I have been saying it over and over, so many didn't think it was necessary, so many thought that bladework would work. And those that did, realized very quickly how important movement is. I am looking forward to this week of instruction as I plan to utilize this new found understanding. You can say something to a group of people repeatedly, but some things have to hit you across the back of the head before you'll sit up and start paying attention.

We will also fix the schedule so it doesn't run as late in the day. We're starting it a good 3 hours earlier and moving a few of the events around. The u19 event shrank because of the bad scheduling and that's just not fair to the people who registered and fenced. At the same time I can hardly be upset at students who fenced all day and then decided that the toughest event at the end of a long day wasn't necessary. I'll admit I'm a slave driver, but even slaves need the occasional break.

No comments:

Post a Comment