Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nothing Quite Like Failure

Failure motivates people to do crazy things. It breeds frustration, anger, confusion, and hopefully determination.

I crafted an internal ranking system that is designed to increase the desire to improve within my students. I normally wouldn't say this sort of thing out loud, but I have a reputation for honesty and forthrightness to uphold. I want my students to be able to achieve something outside the often times draconian ranking system of the Letters. The system is also utilitarian as it is designed to allow students to become assistant coaches @ MFA and give their own private lessons.

Since it's introduction a week ago, students have responded exactly as I wanted them to. With resolve and determination to acquire the rank. As of this posting, only two students have passed the test out of about 13 that have tested. It is designed to look deceptively easy, even though I warned everyone that technique had to be executed to perfection to pass the test. When I first started practice testing, the class thought I was kidding when I said "I expect nobody to pass this test the first time you take it."

After the first student failed, the news traveled quickly throughout the class. When the next 3 failed, a ripple of fear spread throughout the room. Kids were suddenly paying much closer attention to the white board and talking to those who had already failed.

Next week I got the desired response. Kids had studied before taking the test and were far more focused on their own technique.

I can't wait to administer the Red bar test. I'm hoping to invoke tears ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment