Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Big Sky State Games

Results

I headed to Billings on Friday to compete in the BSSG. I went with Jesse & Chris, and a total of 5 saber fencers from MYFA competed. I placed 1st for the second year in a row, & one of the younger fencers was 3 touches away from his first medal in a tournament.

The biggest problems I saw with my students were thankfully very fixable. Skills, & technique were very impressive while mental endurance & adaptation were incredibly low. Both of those weaknesses are fixed with time and attending more tournaments. After a bit of stripside coaching with one of my students in his first DE (in which he was knocked out), I brought some things to his attention at the minute break that he hadn't noticed. He was down 4 touches & equalized in the next 4. Unfortunately, he couldn't adapt to his opponent's change.

My students lacked patience and finishing ability, always trying to rush the last touch and finish the bout.

Things to drill this week: Feints, stopcuts, exchanges, & arm cuts. My students impressed in the pools against one of Billings' better fencers for their attack in prep.

Tonight I'm heading to dinner with an incoming fencer from Texas, Chris the Epee coach, & Laura. We are going to discuss possible employment with the young Texan as a coach & the division as a whole. I am very optimistic about fresh blood in Missoula's foil department as it is bogged down by outdated ideas and stodgy fencers unwilling to comprehend the changes in fencing since 1970.

On the way out & back we stopped at Mark's In & Out for milkshakes & burgers. It was so unbelievably good. If you are traveling through Montana in the summer, I demand that you stop here for some AMAZING food.

I applied for a job at the local library that I am very qualified for. If I get it, my future will likely be much more secure than it is now.

2 comments: